Meet Dr. Ilona Polur Rossignol
Ilona Polur Rossignol, DMD, MPH, MSC
Dr. Rossignol loves being an orthodontist and creating beautiful smiles. She especially enjoys developing a close connection with her patients and their families while watching the transformation not only in her patients’ smiles, but also in their overall attitudes and confidence. Dr. Rossignol’s patients are her utmost priority, and she strives to make their treatment a fun and rewarding experience, so that they look forward to their appointments.
Dr. Rossignol is an Ivy-League Trained Orthodontist and a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. She is a Board-Certified Orthodontist, an honor achieved by less than a third of orthodontists in the nation. Dr. Rossignol, and Cranford Orthodontics, have repeatedly been named a Top Orthodontist in New Jersey Monthly Magazine as voted by their peers, and one of the state’s Favorite Kids’ Docs, in NJ Family Magazine, as chosen by parents and patients.
Dr. Rossignol joined Cranford Orthodontics in 2014 and has been a partner at the practice since 2019.
Dr. Rossignol graduated magna cum laude from New York University with a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics. She then received a DMD/MPH dual degree(Doctor of Dental Medicine and Master of Public Health) from Harvard University, graduating with honors. Dr. Rossignol continued her post-doctoral training in the specialty of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics at Columbia University, where she served as Chief Resident and was awarded a Master of Science for her genetics research on TMJ degeneration.
Dr. Rossignol is committed to her continued education and professional development. Throughout her career she has co-authored several publications on her research on TMJ degeneration and osteoarthritis. Dr. Rossignol has been the recipient of multiple honors and awards, including the American Association of Orthodontists Research and Clinical Achievement Awards, as well as the American Association of Oral Biology Research Award. In addition, Dr. Rossignol serves as a peer-reviewer for the European Journal of Orthodontics and the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. She has served as Past President of the Columbia University Orthodontic Alumni Society and is a member of their Executive Board.
Publications & Research
- “Estrogen receptor beta mediates decreased occlusal loading induced inhibition of chondrocyte maturation in female mice,” Archives of Oral Biology, 2015
- “Estrogen via estrogen receptor beta partially inhibits mandibular condylar cartilage growth,” Journal of Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 2014
- “Delayed progression of condylar cartilage degeneration, by reduction of the discoidin domain receptor 2, in the temporomandibular joints of osteoarthritic mouse models,” Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 2014
- “Orthodontic elastics: Is some tightening needed,” Guest Editorial, Angle Orthodontist, 2010
- “Quality improvement in maternal and child health: Infant oral health program at the Cambridge Health Alliance,” Practicum Thesis, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2010
- “Role of HTRA1, a serine protease, in the progression of articular cartilage degeneration,” Journal of Histology and Histopathology, 2010
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Middle Atlantic Society of Orthodontists
- New Jersey Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- New Jersey Dental Association
- Union County Dental Society
- American Association for Dental Research
- International Association for Dental Research
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
Outside the Office
Dr. Rossignol grew up in Brooklyn, NY and is fluent in Russian and attended Stuyvesant High School. She now lives in Westfield with her husband, Matt, and their daughter, Ella.
In her spare time, Dr. Rossignol loves spending time with her family, and enjoys art and theater! She loves exploring museums and traveling with her family. She also enjoys karaoke, trivia nights and solving NY Times crossword puzzles!Dr. Rossignol loves living in Westfield and being involved in the local community; and she and Drs. Gersch are always available for their patients.